Is a silly bus really the be all and end all of jitsu?

General chit-chat

Moderator: Tom Hill

Is a silly bus really the be all and end all of jitsu?

Postby Ben Ledwick » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:41 pm

Well after all the debate about the new silly bus. What do people want the silly bus for? Is it so you can just brush up on the required techniques just for that grade? if so that is Mcdojo stylie. IMHO I believe a silly bus is there for the instructors and it should be their direction we follow. Everybody wants the map, but not evreyone knows how to read one.
As a lowly purple belt (yes I know I have dan grades shut up :P) I trust my sensei and his teachings. I do not need in writing that a certain technique is needed. Yes I need to learn it but having it written down? I'm sure that would then turn into a just for this grade mentality I need these techniques. (just my opinion)

Has this made sense? well I don't know. Although for things to make sense to me as in I , Just put the 2 words together and you get the answer sensei
Ben Ledwick

Postby Andrew Carter » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:04 pm

As I stated elsewhere Silly buses shouldn't affect students .... only instructors.

Be carefull about looking to Kieth for SENSE :lol:

We are DOOMED :twisted:
Andrew Carter

Postby Andrew Carter » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:07 pm

BTW : Forget to say I concur with your view Ben

Andy C
Andrew Carter

Postby Peter Haldenby » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:42 pm

I think that when it comes to gradings people often find it reassuring to have a list of things they're expected to know, particularly when they go for their first grading. No-one likes to turn up and be asked for a technique they've never heard of.

The higher people get up the grades the more they realise that the grading panel isn't just trying to tick off a list of techniques...
Peter Haldenby

Postby James Hourihan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:52 pm

Peter Haldenby wrote:The higher people get up the grades the more they realise that the grading panel isn't just trying to tick off a list of techniques...

I wish that was true! Many people seem to get as far as ShoDan and are still trying to second guess the grading panel!
James Hourihan
Lead Grader

Postby Peter Haldenby » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:54 pm

James Hourihan wrote:
Peter Haldenby wrote:The higher people get up the grades the more they realise that the grading panel isn't just trying to tick off a list of techniques...

I wish that was true! Many people seem to get as far as ShoDan and are still trying to second guess the grading panel!

I'm hardly blame-free on that score, I must admit, but I'm not as bad now as I was at orange belt. :)
Peter Haldenby

Postby Anj Baughan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:15 pm

I find a syllabus a useful tool for ging over what i've been taught. I can't make as many sessions as i like because i work shifts so at home i can use the syllabus to mentally go over the throws i know. I know it's not a checklist of things i'm expected to know for each grade but i just find it handy for when i'm listing what i do know.

And the Sence from Keith thing....your not going to get it....

Anj
Anj Baughan

Postby Ben Ledwick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Anj Baughan wrote:I find a syllabus a useful tool for ging over what i've been taught. I can't make as many sessions as i like because i work shifts so at home i can use the syllabus to mentally go over the throws i know. I know it's not a checklist of things i'm expected to know for each grade but i just find it handy for when i'm listing what i do know.

Instead of someone giving you the list of techniques, why don't you make your own revision list of throws and techniques. www.judoinfo.com is good for technique revision. That way things are done yourself and therefore you are getting a better grounding in jitsu. If someone gives you all the info and you have not got to do anything again it just becomes a list of techniques required for each grade

And the Sence from Keith thing....your not going to get it....

Anj

Spelt like that you won't :lol:

[/quote]
Last edited by Ben Ledwick on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Ledwick

Postby Ben Ledwick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:11 pm

James Hourihan wrote:

Again it comes down to people wanting the easy way. All i have to do is learn these 4 throws , ect. then i'll get my grade. Yer right :roll: there are clubs like that and if people want their address's I'll pm them to you.
Ben Ledwick

Postby Darren Looby » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:31 pm

Anj, I agree, I like to use one as a guide, and it does help after missing a few sessions which most of us are likely to do.

Ben, good suggestion, I?ve spent many hours doing just that, believe me (how sad of me to spend so long on the net). There is a massive amount of information on the net all just sitting there to be mulled over.

I think a good balance can be attained though, using info from the net and in books etc, but it?s so much more directly useful to have list of what is in our style. And I completely agree with Ben on people wanting an easy way, I don?t think people should try and second-guess the panel.
Darren Looby

Re: Is a silly bus really the be all and end all of jitsu?

Postby Graham Pluck » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Don't read 'em if you don't like 'em, and if you don't like trying too hard to pass gradings, then it would make more sense not to do gradings.
Graham Pluck

Re: Is a silly bus really the be all and end all of jitsu?

Postby Ben Ledwick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Graham Pluck wrote:Don't read 'em if you don't like 'em, and if you don't like trying too hard to pass gradings, then it would make more sense not to do gradings.

Thats not what we are saying :roll:
What I am saying is this
a) A silly bus is not the be all and end all of jitsu
b) If you as a student like me have a silly bus there is a risk of just learning what needs to be learnt
c) Do the research yourself, stretch your self. Hell everybody before has has had to.

It all comes down to what you want out of your jitsu.
Ben Ledwick

Postby Andrew Carter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:37 pm

Just to put this into perspective:-
Since 4th Aug 2004 only 17 people have downloaded the current sylabub from this site.
Andrew Carter

Postby Graham Cox » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Peter Haldenby wrote:No-one likes to turn up and be asked for a technique they've never heard of.

but... but... if you give everyone a copy my "have you revised o soto goshi?" line won't work in the pre-grading warm-ups any more :(

KK - you've got 3 silly buses, so of course you don't want another! :D
Graham Cox
Club Instructor

Shodan

Postby Graham Pluck » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Maybe there aren't any of these people around whome you don't approve of who just learn the tecniques to get through a grading. And if there where, it woudn't be a McDojo, just pathetic MA students.

I'm interested in seeing the new sylabus. I've recently read the new TJF sylabus, though I don't train with TJF. Just a wide interest in jiu jitsu. Whats wrong with that? I've heard keri waza is to take on more significance in the new sylabus. I'd be interested in what other changes there are to an art I've spent hundreds of hours studying. It only takes 10 minutes to read a sylabus, go on stretch your self.
Graham Pluck

Next

Return to General Discussion