Focus

General chit-chat

Moderator: Tom Hill

Focus

Postby Kevin Sharkey » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:47 pm

So how is everyone with the re-newed emphasis on focus?

To me it is welcome and means that people should crack on with what they are doing. It doesn't mean kicking the stuffing out of each other!
Kevin Sharkey
Kevin Sharkey
Technical Committee

Postby Lyndsey Clark » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:52 am

Well, nobody's going to argue that focus isn't a good thing... and to me there seemed to be less chatting and pointless milling around at these nationals and i liked that (but maybe that was because this was my first nationals as a brown belt so training with browns and dans).

However, i don't agree with demanding 'focus' by asking people not to talk to their training partner.... during sessions it is often very useful to talk about why something is not working, how it could work better, etc. especially if you're training with a novice.
Lyndsey Clark

Postby Natalie Brown » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:27 pm

A re-emphasis on focus has got to be a good thing.

I completely agree with Lyns. Sometimes you do need to discuss why a technique is not working as well as it should, but then it does get really annoying when your training partner is more intent on having a non-jitsu-technique conversation than actually doing the technique!! :x

Nat x
Natalie Brown
Events Organiser

Nidan

Postby Ben Ledwick » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:41 pm

Natalie Degg wrote: it does get really annoying when your training partner is more intent on having a non-jitsu-technique conversation than actually doing the technique!! :x

Nat x

I couldn't agree more. I know people like that and sometimes I wonder what they are getting out of the Jitsu

Ben :twisted:
Ben Ledwick

Postby Jo Marchant » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:08 pm

I agree that it?s really helpful to talk about why something is or isn?t working. But I don?t agree that you should be able to do that all the time -- surely sometimes you have to stop talking and just do jitsu! From a physical point of view there?s making sure you can sustain continuous training, but there?s the mental side too, as well as refining the mechanics of the techniques you need to train a certain attitude (intent, focus, whatever) and I?m not sure you ever get that if training is always relaxed enough that you can stop to chat after every technique. Ideally I guess we?d all impose that focus on ourselves when it was appropriate but in practice it?s often down to the instructor...
Jo Marchant

Postby Graham Cox » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:25 am

Stopping between repetitions to discuss how it should be done is a bit like retying your belt, cleaning your specs and kicking the mats in, innit. Sometimes it's done because it has to be done, and sometimes it's to have a bit of a break. I find it pretty frustrating when it's a procrastinating strategy, but then again sometimes people take a break because they need a break. I get the feeling it happens when your partner is not confident about what they are doing, and embarrassed about whatever they're doing wrong. It can be a bit like a cry for help, saying "take it easy, give me some support and encouragement here".

Being an insensitive ogre by nature, I don't often see it like that at the time, and so the pounding continues :twisted:

Yay, I'm the first to say "innit" on this site. Sorry, losing focus now :oops:
Graham Cox
Club Instructor

Shodan

Postby Lyndsey Clark » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:42 am

E.g. session last night... orange and yellow belt learning uki otoshi - while they get the gist of it, myself and a blue belt could have done 50 or more just pounding each other.

But instead we went through a few what ifs... we taught each other variations we'd been taught... and we tried resisting it a bit...

Is this less committed training than if we'd just done 50 really hard and fast and got a lot more out of breath and hot and sweaty than we did?

[I'm not saying it is or it isn't, i'm genuinely curious and to what people think]
Lyndsey Clark

Postby Jo Marchant » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:17 pm

No, I don't think it's less committed at all! Just think you need both :)
Jo Marchant

Postby Martin Bastable » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:27 pm

too much `analysis` talk from lower grades i think is generally bad, theyve not practised enough to get the basics in the first place.....but nothing wrong in working out what there meant to be doing.

higher up - ive no problems with people talking if their training is as good as if they werent chatting.

heck ive even `destraction trained` with people before now, specifically having an unrelated conversation while training to do the jitsu without concentrating on it - see if the jitsu is `happening` or not.

martin
Martin Bastable
Club Instructor

Return to General Discussion